This is a very spicy chicken recipe so have some milk ready, but you can obviously adjust the heat according to taste. It is a great recipe, with quite a bit of prep work, but it is all well worth it because it is an extremely flavourful and yummy dish. Enjoy!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 long spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1-2 red chillies (remove the seeds if you want less heat)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (normal paprika is fine if you can't find the smoked kind)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Sweet Potato:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1/2-1 bell pepper (any colour will do, but I used a yellow one)
- a small handful of basil, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg white (if it seems like the mixture needs more egg just add in the entire egg)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 180'C / 350'F
- 2For the spicy marinade:
In a food processor puree together spring onions, chilli, garlic, oregano, smoked paprika, olive oil and vinegar until the mixture is smooth. Add a tablespoon or two of water if the marinade is a too dry.
- 3For the chicken:
Slash the chicken breast 3-4 times and rub on the marinade. Place in an oven safe dish and cook for 20-25mins, you can also cover it with foil if you are afraid of it drying out.
- 4For sweet potato cakes:
Grate the sweet potato. Then in a frying pan fry of the onion and bell pepper for about 3 minutes.
Then transfer to a mixing bowl with the grated sweet potato, chopped basil, paprika and egg white (or whole egg). Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- 5Heat a non-stick frying pan to a medium-low heat to ensure that the cake cooks through, but also browns. Spray the pan with some olive or coconut oil, then place your sweet potato mix into the pan and flatten it evenly. Each fritter should be about 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Gently fry on both sides until golden brown.
- 6Now just dish up and enjoy. I served mine with some sautéed tender stem broccoli and tomatoes.